Altice USA – Hicksville, NY
Project: Altice Data Centers
Industry: Data Centers
Lizardos designed two data centers in Hicksville, NY utilizing high efficiency techniques aimed at achieving low Power Usage Effectiveness (PUE) values. The high efficiency techniques employed in the design included:
- Use of water-cooled computer room air conditioning (CRAC) units
- Networked CRAC units utilized variable speed fan drives and eliminated simultaneous heating and cooling
- The installation of winter-time “free cooling” dry-coolers at each site
Configuration of rack locations to achieve hot and cold aisles
- Low lighting levels with occupancy sensors
- Use of “smart” Power Distribution Units (PDU’s) for distribution of power to data racks
- Networking of the “smart” PDU’s for IT energy monitoring
- Use of high efficiency Uninterruptible Power Supplies (UPS’s), PDU’s and transformers
- Data centers operate at a temperature of 72°F. rather than 68 to 70°F.
Humidity levels are maintained at 35% RH versus the customary 45 to 50% RH.
- Each data center was also designed with emergency backup power provided by two (2) 1750 KW oil-fired engine-generators with on-board fuel storage.
- Each data center utilized four (4) 400 KVA UPS’s with static transfer switches to swing from normal to UPS/backup power.